Help Food for Maine’s Future continue the fight for GMO labeling
Since 2006, Food for Maine’s Future has been working to pull the curtain back from Monsanto and expose the lies of the GMO industry. Here are a few of our contributions to the fight for corporate accountability and civil rights:
- In 2008, our Protect Maine Farmers campaign led Maine to becoming the fifth state in the U.S. to prevent lawsuits against farmers contaminated from GMO drift or seed. Monsanto has filed 144 lawsuits involving 410 farmers 56 small farm businesses in at least 27 different states.
- As a result of the Protect Maine Farmers campaign, the Maine Department of Agriculture was required to draft Best Management Practices for preventing contamination from GMOs, an attempt to help all farmers to avoid unwanted contamination and potential liability.
- On October 16, 2010 (International Day of Opposition to Monsanto) FMF helped 13 Maine communities organize showings of “World According to Monsanto”. FMF presented “The Myths of GMOs” on two college campuses.
- In 2011, FMF along with our ally Food AND Medicine went to MPBN to express our concern about Monsanto’s misleading advertising on NPR. MPBN later showed Food, Inc., a documentary exposing the corporate food industry and in particular Monsanto.
- In 2010 & 2011, an FMF representative traveled to Mexico to speak with rural communities about the harsh environmental and economic impact Monsanto and GMOs have had in the U.S..
- We have published 12 issues of Saving Seeds, every single one a direct challenge to Monsanto’s attempt to keep the truth about GMOs from the people of Maine.
In Augusta this session a bill to label GMOs is before the Maine Legislature, and finally with support from both sides of the aisle. An Act to Protect Maine Food Consumer’s Right to Know will require labeling of all genetically modified organisms sold in Maine. As of today there are already 128 co-sponsors. For almost two decades Mainers have been demanding the choice to decide for themselves whether or not to buy GMOs and now is the time to make all our voices loud and clear:
Let ME Decide!
Food for Maine’s Futures wants you to join us in the Citizen Campaign to Label GMOs and tell your friends, neighbors, and especially your legislators that we want to know if the food we eat, feed our children, or feed our animals is genetically-engineered. Sign up today and we’ll help you make your voice heard in Augusta.
Together, we have made it no longer possible for government and industry to hide. Help us continue the momentum by joining and supporting Maine’s Citizen Campaign to Label GMOs.
Here’s how you can help:
- Join the Citizen Campaign to Label GMOs (groups, individuals, businesses, farms)
- Sign or renew your commitment to not growing GMOs
- Help us raise $30,000 for the campaign. This is a citizen-led campaign. No one will be paid to lobby with your contribution. Make a donation today!
- Come to Augusta and testify! Sign up here and keep updated about dates and times of public hearings and other relevant information
- Volunteer! Post fliers, spread emails, organize caravans, host informational events in your community, etc.